Schools and the classroom can feel like artificial environments which are very distance from the real world at times. This chat will focus on how we can bring the real world into the classroom and give a real purpose and/or audience to learning.
1. What do you think are the barriers to real world learning in schools?
2. How do guest speakers bridge the gap between the classroom and outside world? Which speakers have you invited and why?
3. What role can businesses play to make learning more like the world outside the classroom?
4. Does technology bring more or less real world context to learning? How? Examples from your own teaching?
5. How can the community provide real world context and an audience for pupils?
6. Is a certainly amount of ‘artificial’ necessary and desirable in the classroom?