UKEdChat hosted a Science Subject Special, co-hosted by Duncan Lloyd, a London based Senior Lecturer who has a interest in the subject. The aim of the subject special sessions is to focus on sharing ideas, resources and pedagogy, with an emphasis on biology, physics and chemistry at both primary, secondary and further education.
Duncan devised six questions which were released during the session:
1. According to an obscure song, “Evolution is a mystery.” But, how can we teach evolution well?
2. Smart materials are new to the secondary curriculum. What tips, tricks and advice have you got for colleagues?
3. Computing is receiving a push in part due to promoting its thinking and problem-solving skills. What should we shout about with science?
4. What is the essential ingredient of a great science lesson?
5. Science lessons need starters too. What is your favourite?
6. Girls are outperforming boys at school level, how can we raise boys’ achievement?
Hywel Roberts and Debra Kidd’s Uncharted Territories: Adventures in learning is a book of prompts, provocations and possibilities designed to nourish creativity and generate ideas that will get teachers and pupils excited about learning.