For many, the domain of outdoor learning is focused on the early years of schooling, or related to physical exercise lessons, with most other subjects remaining within the confines of the school walls.
However, there are many schools and practitioners who are always seeking to take learning outdoors, as the energy levels and change of learning routine can inspire and enhance experiences.
Following on from the UKEdChat poll, this UKEdChat session explored opportunities that teachers can take to use the local environment to support the teaching and learning process outside the classroom walls.
The session asked the following questions:
- What are the best outdoor learning opportunities that you have experienced with your pupils?
- Are there opportunities for outdoor learning for all curriculum subjects?
- What are the dangers or frustrations of taking pupils outside to enhance their learning?
- What lessons can be taken from the Early Years sector in encouraging outdoor learning for older pupils?
- What are the greatest outdoor learning opportunities available in your local environment?
- What are you own strongest outdoor learning memories? What made them so memorable?
As part of Outdoor Classroom Day’s work with us, we have been able to make our Outdoor Learning Course – independently written by UKEdChat staff – free on our UKEd Academy website. Click here to see more details.
Archive, Download -> Session 350 Outdoor Learning Opportunities