This episode is supported by
Now available to listen or download, this UKEd Podcast – supported by Outdoor Classroom Day – this bumper episode of the UKEd_Podcast explores the opportunities for teaching and learning outside.
As part of Outdoor Classroom Day’s work with us, we have been able to make our Outdoor Learning Course – independently written by UKEdChat staff – free on our UKEd Academy website. Click here to see more details.
You can listen to this episode below, or by searching for UKEdChat in your favourite podcast Smartphone app. If you have an Apple device, you can subscribe directly to the podcast via the App Store, by clicking the logo below.
- RSPB’s Ribble Estuary Discovery Centre where we speak to Claire Crictchley as she explains exploring the mud flats nearby along with meeting some unique mini-beasts.
- We speak to Kathryn Phillips from The Wildlife Trust for Lancashire Manchester and North Merseyside’s Brockholes site just outside the city of Preston as she explains the Forest School opportunities available there.
- Our guest for the show is the respected outdoor learning consultant Juliet Robertson from CreativeStar in Scotland. Juliet shares great ideas and activities to take the learning outside, no matter what school grounds and facilities you have.
- Richard J Rogers and his Ukranian teaching colleague Oleksii Khlobystin share how important learning outdoors is, especially when students live in a world that barely goes beyond their own four walls.
Essential links and resources shared during this podcast
Twitter – @RSPB_N_England
The Wildlife Trust for Lancashire Manchester and North Merseyside
Twitter – @Lancswildlife
Facebook – @Lancashirewildlifetrust
Good for secondary – open-ended approaches that fit different subjects:
- Mission Explore www.missionexplore.net
- Outdoor Journeys outdoorjourneys.org.uk
- Metasaga wiki metasaga.wikispaces.com
- Neil Atkins: Science of surfing http://neilatkin.com/science-of-cool-stuff/
- Learning through Landscapes – national school grounds charity: www.ltl.org.uk
Richard’s book – 45 Secrets That All High School Teachers Need to Know
Explore and pledge via: https://uked.chat/patreon_page