Do we regularly review our subject knowledge? Can you be a great teacher if you’re not a subject expert? How much weight do school leaders give to subject knowledge in terms of CPD & budgets?
This is a conversation for all, whether you’re new to the profession or you’ve seen more exam specs and curriculum initiatives come and go than seems even viable!
- How often do you update your subject knowledge?
- What proportion of your CPD is subject specific?
- If you have a Masters is it in your subject specialism or teaching/education?
- Do you think more importance should be given to Masters level subject knowledge?
- Do you teach outside of your subject? Do you have non-specialists in your department? How are they supported?
- Has your subject knowledge kept up with recent curriculum changes? What more needs to be done to support this moving forward?
- Does/should subject knowledge be audited regularly?
- Does/should subject knowledge feature in performance management?
- What resources are out there to help develop subject knowledge?
- How can primary colleagues be supported to develop subject knowledge across the curriculum?