It is incumbent upon us all to plan and deliver sessions that enable learners to achieve and exceed their targets, therefore it is imperative we effectively and consistently communicate our high expectations of learners.
Create a Self-fulfilling Prophecy:
“…..merely setting an expectation results in enhanced performance.…”
Schilling and Schilling 1999
Set your own ‘self-fulfilling prophecy’, create a climate conducive to learning and achieving. Establish your ‘Group Protocol’ / ‘Class Ground Rules’ that should be:
Negotiated, Positive, Permanently Displayed and Motivational, Collegiate consistency is key to setting Ground Rules, challenge your colleagues if their lack of consistency is letting you down as this is disempowering.
Maximise opportunities for adhering to high expectations:
- Greet students at the door
- Develop a toolkit of connecting activities that immediately engage learners
- Narrate learner progress, skill and knowledge development throughout the session
- Refer to high expectations in both verbal and written feedback
- Check regularly for understanding – of instructions and content
Establish routine practices and expect all colleagues to join in:
‘No opt out’ – it is not ok not to try – deploy strategies to build confidence
‘Without apology’ – there is no such thing as boring content – make it accessible
@JoanneRoulstone Head of Teaching, Learning & Assessment