The importance of offering a broad curriculum within the school system cannot be over-stated, allowing students to explore a range of topics that spark their interest, and potentially inspire them to follow a career path that can have a positive impact on their lives, society and the environment.
STEM activities (built around Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) offer a broad range of opportunities, opening up the potential of enquiry based learning that is relevant to the world we live in. Many education systems globally place a great emphasis on a STEM curriculum for all students, no matter of age, race, gender or ability, but what
In this #UKEdChat session, we encouraged and invited educators globally to share their favourite STEM-based activities, building a handy resource for teachers to implement in their classroom. The session posed the following questions:
- How important are STEM activities within your setting, and how do you incorporate them into regular teaching and learning?
- How do you challenge any misconceptions or biases about certain pathways that STEM learning opens up?
- How do you create more opportunities, through STEM activities, to ensure inclusion for all?
- What are the greatest challenges of incorporating STEM activities into the curriculum?
- How do you use technology to support STEM activities, and what are the best resources available to use?
- How can you use STEM activities to support
enquiry-basedlearning, or enhance problem solving skills?
- What are the ‘go-to’ resources, websites or people that you refer to for STEM activity ideas?
- What are your favourite STEM-based classroom activities, that never fail to enthuse your students?
View the tweet archive here.