Getting young people to read is often a popular winner in the #ukedchat poll, and this recent vote proved no exception.
Many people know the benefits of reading, as whole new worlds, opportunities and adventures can open up to help enhance knowledge of the world around us, but getting some young people to read quality can be like extracting teeth! So, for this #ukedchat session, we are interested in how you are encouraging students and young people to develop a joy for reading, including modern-day strategies that you have tried to prod their interest.
The session will ask the following questions:
- How much of an emphasis of reading for pleasure does your setting share with pupils?
- How do you engage with books and reading in your lessons to make it enjoyable?
- What are the best books that you have found to help get young people to read for pleasure?
- Being a competent reader is critical across all subjects – How does your subject encouraging reading with pupils?
- What role does technology play in developing a positive reading culture? How can technology be used to nurture positive reading experiences?
- What are your most effective strategies that encourage your learners to read for pleasure?
- What can teachers do, as role models, to show their own love of reading for pleasure, and how do you demonstrate it?
- How can you engage young people who just don’t read?
Join the chat via the Twitter #UKEdChat hashtag from 8pm on Thursday 21st February 2019.
Read the tweet archive here.