#UKEdChat Session 467: We did it. We landed our dream job, and being a teacher is what we always dreamed of. We influence and positively impact (mainly) on young lives, gifting them our knowledge, wisdom and fantastic wit. Although life in the classroom is a dream, many start aspiring for the next steps in their career, looking for leadership or management roles – some well suited, and others not.
Following the #UKEdChat Poll, this session will explore what a teaching career ladder can involve, for those interested, and any alternative routes, or unexpected forks, that can appear.
The questions asked were:
- How far up the teaching career ladder did you aim for when you started your teaching role?
- Does a teaching career always have to be linear?
- What options are there to stay in the classroom, if leadership or management roles don’t appeal to you?
- What are the challenges for climbing to the next step in your career? What do you need to do?
- What are the key skills teachers gain over time, and how are these transferable outside the profession?
- What advice would you offer to colleagues who are just starting out on their career, based on your experience?
- Have you seen the wheels falling off the careers of colleagues? What did you learn?
- What is the ultimate goal in your teaching career?