#UKEdChat – Session 469. The return of the new school year seems to come around faster and faster each time. It is possible that the start of a new academic year means that teachers are looking for new activities to do with their new classes to set the right tone, settle everyone in quickly, and get about starting the curriculum that is set before everyone.
Following the #UKEdChat Twitter Poll, this week session was about sharing ideas, activities or resources that work well for you in setting the new school year off on the right footing. The session asked the following questions:
- How much time do you have in your classroom before students return, and what are your key priorities within that time?
- What do you find is the most effective teacher strategy you use when faced with a new set of students?
- Do you get straight into the teaching and learning, or do you ease students in over a longer period?
- How do you address any dip in attainment over the long break?
- How soon can you correctly assess the progress of your new students in a new school year, and how is this managed?
- What strategies do you use for students who may be new to the school setting?
- If you are new to the school, how do you ease yourself into the new role, as a teacher and/or leader?
- What are your favoured activities or resources for starting off the new year?