- #UKEdChat session 519.
- Schools are banning face coverings!
- Sharing best practice for social distancing.
- Click here to view the tweet archive.
- How can the impacts of protective measures on learning be mitigated?
#UKEdChat session 519 – For context, after the longest time away from school that most teachers and pupils will experience, the majority of schools in Northern Ireland, Wales and England are just going back after the summer holiday, with Scotland preceding the rest of the UK by two weeks. Most teachers should now know what measures are in place and what issues need to be addressed.
There are a number of disturbing reports of schools, not just discouraging, but banning face coverings for pupils outright, endangering vulnerable staff and relatives at home. There have also been reports that social distancing measures seem to be lax and contingent on a ‘COVID won’t happen here’ laissez-faire attitude. Schools should adopt the same attitude to safeguarding everyone from COVID as they do with all safeguarding: Look at the most vulnerable and make that your benchmark for interventions and safety measures.
While these issues are likely to be in the minority of cases, in this #UKEdChat discussion on Thursday 3rd September 2020 at 8pm (UK) we offer a forum were teachers can constructively highlight the issues they see in schools, in the hope that everyone can share best practice and keep everyone safe during these difficult times.
- Do you think that schools are adopting appropriate measures to keep staff, pupils and everyone in the community safe from Covid-19?
- What is your school’s face coverings policy? Ban or discouraged? What is the rationale for this?
- Is your school using ‘bubbles’, and if so, how?
- Do you think that the school Covid guidance from the Government has been good enough to (a) keep schools safe, and (b) build confidence?
- If you were the education minister, what would be your Covid guidance to schools?
- How will your lessons be impacted by Covid protective measures?
- How have pupils reacted to the protective measures to combat Covid-19 in school?
- What do you like will be the impact of Covid protective measures of the learning of your pupils, and how could this be mitigated?
Click here to read the tweet archive