Creating Trauma-Informed, Strengths-Based Classrooms Teacher Strategies for Nurturing Students' Healing, Growth, and Learning£22.99*
- This is an important book that informs teachers to recognise the trauma and stresses that pupils can bring into the classroom on a daily basis. Two simple goals are shared: soothe dysregulated stress responses, building self-regulatory responses, and; to support students to form enduring and healing attachments.
- The authors create a developmental approach, structured on five domains of body, relationship, stamina, engagement, and character.
- The book identifies key school stress situations that can bring out the fight-flight-freeze responses in students, encouraging teachers to recognise key signs, and how to manage classroom situations to make individuals more comfortable.
- The book is not only about directly supporting students, but how we - as teachers - need to reflect on our own reactions, behaviours and approaches to pupils and daily situations. Prioritise you own wellbeing.
- Throughout, the book scatters real-life examples, practical classroom tips, and the opportunity to develop resources that can help support build positive relationships.
With accessible strategies grounded in trauma-informed education and positive psychology, this book equips teachers to support all students, particularly the most vulnerable. It will help them to build their resilience, increase their motivation and engagement, and fulfil their full learning potential within the classroom.
Trauma-informed, strengths-based classrooms are built upon three core aims: to support children to build their self-regulatory capacities, to build a sense of relatedness and belonging at school, and to integrate wellbeing principles that nurture growth and identify strengths. Taking conventional approaches to trauma one step further, teachers may create a classroom environment which helps students to meet their own needs in a healthy way and progress academically.
Based on the successful Berry Street education strategies pioneered by the authors, this book also includes comprehensive case studies, learning points and opportunities for self-reflection, fully supporting teachers to implement these strategies within the classroom.
*RRP Price correct at the time of review publication