Becoming a Teacher The legal, ethical and moral implications of entering society’s most fundamental profession£20.00*
- A useful book for people wanting to enter the teaching profession, and for those going through the ITT process.
- Covers legislation in many different jurisdictions.
- Explores the law, ethics and morality aspects of the teaching profession, including a useful collection of appendices with further signposts and links.
- Discuss and reflect exercises through each chapter keeps the reader engaged with important aspects of the profession.
- This is a very important book for any individual thinking about entering the teaching profession, offering insights into the pitfalls to avoid once in the profession.
Written by Alan Newland, Becoming a Teacher: The legal, ethical and moral implications of entering society’s most fundamental profession is an inspiring and motivating guide to embarking confidently on a career in teaching and, above all, acquiring and developing the essential character traits and values to flourish in it.
Accessible, readable and engaging, Becoming a Teacher draws on Alan’s decades of professional work and academic study in education to set out the key principles for developing and understanding the professional values essential to becoming a good teacher.
The book features a constructive examination of the Teachers’ Standards and shares a series of illustrative scenarios, exemplar strategies and practical resources that will equip trainee teachers with easy-to-understand but justifiable rationales to deal with a range of contentious and sensitive issues that they are likely to encounter during the course of their career.
Alan explores a series of searching questions relating to the philosophical nature of teaching, and offers astute insights that will provoke thought, instil confidence, engender enthusiasm and inspire commitment in those new to the teaching profession. He also shares a range of appendices – covering codes for professional practice, useful links and resources, and summaries and extended discussion of fundamental British values and spiritual, moral, social and cultural education.
Becoming a Teacher therefore serves as a professional studies course reader for trainees and early career teachers, as well as a core text for tutors, lecturers, mentors and CPD leads delivering both the compulsory aspects of the ITT Core Content Framework for all qualified teacher status (QTS) courses and Early Career Framework CPD.
Ideal for trainee teachers in all phases of teaching; for lecturers, tutors and course directors at initial teacher training (ITT) institutions; and for ITT and early career mentors and CPD leads in schools.
*RRP – Price correct at the time of review publication