Succeeding as an English Teacher: The ultimate guide to teaching secondary English£14.99*
- This is a fantastic book for anyone working in the English department, offering guidance for early career teachers, through to those who lead others within the department.
- The book explore key elements of helping develop literacy skills, from reading, vocabulary, and writing.
- Subject knowledge along with planning and assessment are given great coverage within the book, offering strategies, templates, and ideas to develop the curriculum further.
- Really pleased to see that there is a whole chapter focusing on the importance of literature. Text recommendations are scattered throughout, helping to inspire a love of literature, reading, and development.
- This is a fantastic book that should be in every secondary English department. Along with tips on resources, teaching and learning, the book also supports teachers on 'how' to develop the curriculum to support positive outcomes.
- There are actually a few missing references 🙁
The ultimate guide to teaching English in a secondary school, this book supports you on your journey from trainee to head of department – and everything in-between. Succeeding as an English Teacher provides practical guidance in an accessible format to help you teach English at Key Stages 3, 4 and 5. It covers key topics, including:
- planning a knowledge-rich and diverse curriculum and schemes of learning
- delivering engaging and effective lessons
- advancing your subject knowledge
- supporting students with revision
- applying the science of learning in your English classroom.
This book is perfect for any newly qualified or experienced teacher looking to develop their practice and progress in their career. Featuring the varied perspectives of 12 English teachers, this unique compilation offers invaluable advice and top tips for making every English lesson count, as well as real-life examples and opportunities for reflection.
READ AN EXTRACT
ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS
Abigail Mann, Lyndsay Bawden, Fe Brewer, Davina Canham, Mary Hind-Portley, Ruth Holder, Kaley Macis-Riley, Laura May Rowlands, Andy Sammons, Zara Shah, Laura Tsabet and Holly Wimbush are a group of experienced and enthusiastic English teachers working in schools across the country. They are all highly active in developing and promoting English teaching, whether in key school positions such as literacy lead or head of department, or working as consultants, speaking at conferences, sparking conversations on social media or conducting research.
*RRP – Price correct at time of review publication.