- #UKEdChat session 583
- Senior leaders how the duty to ensure the wellbeing of both teachers and learners
- School culture is key to how teachers rest during school holidays.
- Click here to view the tweet archive.
Oh, the irony… an educational discussion about switching off just as the winter break is beginning.
But if you are anything like me, switching off properly demands effort. Surviving on adrenaline, caffeine and the joy of the season often means that teachers are running on empty for the final
weeks days of the term, and when all that stops an illness often follows.
There is the additional issue that with Covid around, this will be a Christmas break like no other (except the last one!), and with greater uncertain comes added stress.
Whether you are a run out of the classroom door type, or the preparation before you leave and forget kind of teacher, there is no one right way to start a break. But in the final days of the term, it is important to be intentional about how to finish the term right for you, and senior leaders have a crucial role in both setting the right tone and a flexible culture within the school, allowing teachers to choose an approach that works for them.
And then there are considerations about how to help the learners switch off so as to be fresh when they return next term.
In this #UKEdChat session, which took place on Thursday 16th December 2021 at 8pm(UK), we discussed successful ways to switch off from teaching during the holidays, what senior leaders can do to improve the wellbeing of their staff, and how teachers can help learners refresh themselves over a school holiday to be ready to go when they return.
- Do you run out the door at the start of the winter holidays, or do you prepare things for the next term before you leave?
- What steps can teachers take before a mid-year break begins to help them relax better?
- How can senior leadership develop a school culture which allows teachers to switch off better during school holidays?
- What actions, or inactions, can senior leadership do to help teachers switch off and relax over school holidays?
- Do you keep your school holidays completely clear of school work, or do you like to use the time to do work on your own terms?
- What’s in your school bag on the last afternoon of a term before a mid-year break?
- What actions, or inactions, can teachers do to help learners switch off and relax over school holidays?
- What are your top tips for a successful and refreshing school break?